Sunday, May 26, 2024
Home > City News > Govt signs MoU for Waste-to-Energy plant

Govt signs MoU for Waste-to-Energy plant

waste to energy

waste to energyKarnataka Government signed a MoU with the Netherlands government for waste-to-energy technology to dispose of Bengaluru’s waste.
With an investment of Rs 470 crore, the project will be used to dispose of 600 tonnes of garbage generated in the city.
The project was finalized at a meeting between Netherlands ambassador to India Alphonsus Stoelinga, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and Bengaluru Development Minister K.J.George.
The project will yield 7MW of power every day and this power will be purchased by the state government as per rates fixed by the Karnataka Electricity Regulatory Commission.”
Bengaluru Development Minister KJ George said the project will be taken up on a pilot basis, and, if successful, will be implemented in other parts of the city and state.
Stoelinga said the technology ensures there will be no remnants of garbage after conversion of waste to power. As per the Dutch calculations, 60% of waste generated in Bengaluru is organic and can be converted to biomass and once processed, it can generate 7MW.
Under the terms and conditions, the Dutch will provide 70% of the funding as soft loan, along with the technology and the remainder 30% will have to be funded by the company which will participate in a tender process to initiate the project and set it up.
Minister George said the state has already proposed two or three locations for the pilot project on the city’s outskirts.”This time, the disposal will be odourless and will have been processed. The unit will accept mixed garbage for the time being, and it will be segregate at the unit for conversion of organic garbage to power,” he said.
The minister said the biggest hurdle for setting up the plant will be getting clearances from the the central environment ministry and the KSPCB. “We hope to get approvals in the next six months,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *